Sunday, June 6, 2010

Biking

I went out on the only local bike path today. Rode to it and on it for 1/2 hour and then turned around and came back. It took me 6 minutes longer on the way back, but I had a headwind and it felt like it was all uphill. By the last 10 minutes, my mantra was, "I can do this, I can do this, I can do this, ow, my butt, ow, my butt, ow my butt."

I saw lots of squirrels, birds, and bunnies.

I thought I was doing pretty well by the halfway mark - I was going faster and farther without stop signs and traffic lights. But then a biker on the road FLEW by me and kind of made me disgusted with myself. Still, I guess I'm doing better than the 50% of people on their butts in front of the TV.

I seem to be using the word 'butt' a lot in this post.

I went 9.8 miles in 1:06 with a maximum speed of 20.1 (WooHoo!) and an average speed of 8.9 mph (bleh). At that rate, I would do 16.2 miles in 1:49. Not good enough by at least 20 minutes. But I am working on endurance now, speed will be next. If I finish the triathlon after everyone else has packed up and gone home, I will still have finished.

Crossing railroad tracks for the first time on the bike was kind of scary. But I am not afraid of the faster speeds like I was when I first started. My bike needs some work; it won't stay in gear. So I guess that gets added to the 'to-do' list for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment