Sunday, May 23, 2010

Tri Club

I saw where someone on active.com posted "any other slow, overweight, newbie triathletes?" and after answering her with my plans, she mentioned that she lives in my town and that there was a new Tri Club having its first meeting the very next night! So I went, and learned a lot. I joined, got the t-shirt, and am waiting for them to approve my Facebook friend request so I can ask some more questions.

I went out biking tonight. Did my 5K route through the neighborhood. The route that is 3.2 miles on the closest edge of the sidewalk is 3.5 miles in the road. It took me 24 minutes, which comes out to 1:51 for 16.2 miles (the tri bike distance) if I kept that pace. The slowest time last year was 1:29, but I'm not too worried. First of all, there is a stop sign at almost every intersection in my neighborhood, and while I didn't stop at every one, I at least had to slow down to make sure no cars were coming. Second, I think my neighborhood is not as flat as the area around the lake where the tri is. It is billed as "flat and fast." Third, I haven't started my 12 week training.

Still, I would like to know what I could do. I need to either find somewhere that I think is safe to ride, or find out what setting on the bikes at the gym best approximates a real bike.

One more week until hiking and then tri training!

No comments:

Post a Comment